Pages

Friday, April 24, 2009

Monterey Pub




I love this place! I read about this in a book about Pittsburgh restaurants and was really intrigued by the writers enthusiasm. Monterey Pub is located in the heart of the North Side, on Monterey St. in the Mexican War Streets area, just off of North Avenue where the YMCA is. This is not an area that I would usually frequent but I'm glad that I made the effort. First of all, it's located right in the middle of a residential neighborhood, one of the beautiful streets where the homes have been beautifully restored.

Once inside, I noticed an old-fashioned tin ceiling, a bar on the left and booths on the right with a small dining room, complete with a fireplace, to the rear. I sat at the bar. We tried some Honey Sriracha wings, and an order of Guinness Nachos. Both were great! The wings were cooked until crispy...I hate mushy wings, and the sauce was spicy hot but with a good flavor. Nachos are not something I would usually order but we spotted them at someones table and couldn't resist. I was not disappointed. I was there early, around 5:00 and it soon started to fill with dinner patrons. The menu includes typical Irish fare such as Shepard's Pie, and Bangers and Mash, but also includes many burgers, salads and dinner entrees such as Meat Loaf, Crab Cakes, Chicken Pot Pie, and Roasted Salmon.

I would recommend Monterey Pub to anyone. While it's not a four star type of place, that's not what they are trying to do. It's the kind of place that you feel comfortable and cozy the first time you enter. I will go back for sure.

No comments: