Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Review: The Sewickley Hotel


The Sewickley Hotel along with all the other bars along Beaver Road in downtown Sewickley, use to be a shot and beer bar. Growing up just a mile from there, I have memories of a number of these places filled with working class men drinking their Iron City and shooting pool. Things have really changed over the years. Now it's a place where you could very possibly run into one of Pittsburgh's sports hero's. Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby, Lynn Swann, Franco Harris and others visit, probably because it's the kind of place where no one bothers them. On one visit, I spotted coach Chuck Noll sitting on a park bench across the street chatting with some friends.

As you walk in there is a long wooden bar to the right, and a number of booths and tables to the left with barely enough room for a few more in the back. It's a very comfortable, homey atmosphere. The staff has always been friendly and the crowd always seems to be in a pleasant mood.

The menu is basic American fare (which is fine with me) but it's is all excellent. I don't think that I've ever had even a bad item, let alone a bad meal there. Steaks, pasta and seafood are cooked with the help of a wood burning stove, which gives a great smoky flavor, yet it's not overpowering.

Wednesday evening's they have a tasteful jazz band and the recent addition of a beautiful outdoor courtyard has greatly expanded the seating area. Prices are just a little bit higher than average ($15.95 to $29.95 Hey, this is Sewickley!) but the exceptional food more than makes up for that in my opinion. If you enjoy comfortable places like The 17th Street Cafe or Tessaro's this is a place you should not miss.

2 comments:

B. said...

Dave - this is actually a response to your wing post. I can't seem to find the comment link there...
I am a huge fan of Zooky's in New Brighton and RPM's in Bridgeville. Zooky's has tons of sauces, but the traditional buffalo is spot on. You can order your wings at Zooky's "extra crisp", and so long as you have the 20 minutes to wait, that is the way to go. If you make it to RPM's, try the black and gold wings - "blackened" wings (cajun-rubbed) with a not too sweet drizzle of honey. I usually stay away from honey-anything wings, but these are great.

Dave, The BurghFeeder said...

B, Sorry about the comment line. I have no idea why it's gone. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I've been to RPM's several times but have never tried the wings. Zooky's is a new one on me, but I'll be sure to go there and try them. I don't care about the 20 minute wait, I've spent way more time than that on a barstool!