Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

I love chicken wings!


Talk about great bar food, there's nothing like an order of spicy chicken wings and beer. Not quite health food, but good! My problem is that I hate "mushy" wings. Not very many places seem to cook them until crispy. I love red meat rare or medium rare, and even eat pork pink inside, but to me wings are just better well done and crunchy. I've tried them at a lot of places but not very many are memorable. Hell, I've even been to the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, which is supposedly where buffalo wings started...They were mushy and swimming in bottled hot sauce. Awful!

One of the better places I've found is Burg's in Bridgeville. They have a Cajun dry rub that's terrific! I've been told that Sauce (right up the street from Burgs) has some pretty good wings too. My favorite though is a place at Canadohta Lake called Sue's Mill. The problem is that it's about two hours from here. They are plump, well done and crispy but still juicy and every sauce I've had there has been great.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I'm trying to get some feedback as to the best wing places around the city.


Here's a simple recipe that everyone seems to really like. Of course cooking them until crispy is just as important as the sauce!

Deep fry, bake or grill 2 pounds of chicken wings UNTIL CRISPY! Meanwhile, make sauce by melting 1/4 cup of margarine (not butter) and adding the following ingredients:

1/4 cup hot sauce (most use Red Hot which is not a favorite of mine, but this recipe covers up the "orange" taste).

1 package dry onion soup

5 cloves of minced garlic

1 tablespoon of lemon juice

a pinch of basil

This sauce will be very thick, not watery like other sauces. When the wings are done, place them in a seal able bag or container, add the sauce and shake until coated. put wings on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for ten minutes. Serve with celery and blue cheese.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good recipe!