Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Olympos Gyros


Today I found myself searching for a quick dinner in the Robinson area. While I'm familiar with a number of restaurants in the area, all I really wanted was a fast meal that was not from a fast food place. A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about how impressed I was with "My Big Fat Greek Gyro" in Wexford. Heather Downey, one of the principles at Downey's House, left me a note recommending Olympos Gyro's on Stubenville Pike. Today was a good time to try it!

The place is in a small strip mall and not much to look at. The interior is diner style with a few tables and a small counter with about a half dozen stools. I just ordered the standard gyro and a drink. The gyro was huge, on a thick style pita, with lettuce, tomato slices that were flavored with oregano, and a great homemade tzatziki sauce. The tzatziki was made with sour cream, spices and olive oil instead of the usual yogurt/cucumber mixture. The meat was sliced thickly and very generous. I really liked this gyro, although I found it to be excessively salty.

The quality of Greek gyro places in Pittsburgh has really improved in the past couple of years, and Olympos is another good quality addition to this group. I'm sure that I'll be back and try one of the other sandwiches in the near future.

1 comment:

Heather Downey said...

Yay! I'm glad you tried it!!!