Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

One of my favorite party appetizers!

I love to cook and one of the most entertaining party ideas is to have an appetizer and wine tasting party. You just have everyone prepare some sort of unique appetizer and bring it along. If you have a small group, it's fun and educational to just prepare and cook each of them at the party. This way everyone that's interested can learn just how to make their favorite. It's a good idea to do this during a sporting event so that those that don't have the same passion for food (at least cooking it) can also enjoy themselves!

One of my favorites is a Broiled Salmon on an English Muffin. If you hate salmon, especially canned which this uses, DON'T BE AFRAID TO TRY THIS! I've had several salmon haters that love the taste of this recipe.

First, take a small can of salmon, (the size of a tuna can, whatever that is) and drain it thoroughly. Put it in a small mixing bowl and add about a tablespoon of Dijon mustard, and about a tablespoon of mayo. I actually use just a little more than a tablespoon, but use whatever you prefer. You can also add just a little bit of lemon juice, and sometimes I add just a small amount of diced onion.
Take six English muffin halves and toast them until they are just crispy. Spread some of the salmon mixture on top of each, and top each with some shredded mozzarella cheese. Put the muffins on a cookie sheet and place under a broiler, just long enough for the cheese to melt. Make sure you watch this! They will burn quickly. Before I serve, I like to garnish the top with a couple of slices of scallions, using just the green part sliced into about 1 inch pieces.

This has been a hit every time I've made them, even for those of you that don't like salmon.

No comments: